The initial problem
The hard disk of my mother's dekstop PC died.
5-year old Seagate, 500GB. (In case anyone of you has ever thought of buying one.)
Luckily I had a 1TB 2.5' HDD that wanted to sell so I just came and replaced it.
I had to install Windows 7, of course.
- I have a Windows disk but it was burned about 3 years ago. However I put it in and got what? Error. "Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."
- Problem. My laptop has no DVD drive.
- Problem. My other laptop has DVD drive but there was no DVD at home...
- Problems. I have a flash memory but it is just 1GB. My mother's flash is 2GB. I needed 4.
- Problem. I can't use my external HDD because I had no place to put the information.
- Problem. The other external HDD I already put into the PC.
- Problem. The additional SPACE I had is my phone which is not a good idea.
- I remembered there is a camera with memory card and luckily the card was 4GB and I also have a USB card reader (that I won about 10 years ago). Let the magic begin.
- When I extracted the Windows to the memory card as a disk and put it in the PC - I got the same error. Luckily again I found this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQf9YqbD8WI showing what to do. In one sentense: When the "Install" button shows up, tap Shift+F10 to show the console and type "diskpart", after that type "select disk 0" (or "disk volume" to see all disks and then "select disk [the number of your preferred disk volume]"). Minimize the console. Simple as that. Hit "Install" and continue as every other normal flow.
- Everything was good. I formatted the memory card once again, put the old pictures back and decided just to check if it still works with the camera. No. It didn't.
- Format in different types, block sizes, full format and so on did not lead to any result. According to the Internet the memory card has never been working, I had to change it and the camera should be repaired for $100. Now I laugh but just several minutes ago...
- The solution for the memory card was to put it in my laptop and use the same diskpart tool: "diskpart", "list volume", "select volume [the number of the memory card from the list volume step]", "active". And it worked.
Always bring a 4+GB flash drive with you.